Getting enough water every day is important to keeping your body functioning correctly. Your body needs more water when you’re in warmer climates and seasons, like summer, for example!
While there is no one size fits all for the proper amount of water you should have per day, there is a general rule of thumb that you can follow. Women should drink approximately 2.7 liters of water each day while men should average 3.7 liters of total water.
So how do you make sure to enjoy the sun and stay hydrated? Here are five quick tips.
1. Drink fluids gradually throughout the day. Start the day with at least one cup, and try and average between another 6-7 throughout the whole day. Your body will thank you for it!
2. Know the signs of dehydration: severe headache, dizziness, nausea, muscle cramps, fainting, dry and inflamed skin.
3. Avoid certain drinks. Drinks like coffee, sugary sodas, beer, wine and hard liquor, lemonade, sweet tea, energy drinks, smoothies, and flavored milk all work against keeping you hydrated. Your best bet to keep up with hydration is to drink water!
4. Drink more if you sweat! Going for a hike? Out in the midday heat? Working out today? Drink some extra water to replenish those lost fluids!
5. Infuse with flavor. If you struggle to drink plain water, add some fresh flavors to your drink. Limes, lemons, mint, oranges, berries, cucumbers, and other fruits improve the taste without artificial sweeteners or preservatives.
Stay hydrated and healthy this summer!